At the close of last term, I carried out a survey to help me be a good teacher to my students the subsequent term. Accordingly, I made them write what they think could be done on my part to make their studies more enjoyable and effective as well. Many suggestions cropped up notable among them were that I gave them more class assignments as well as class tests. Hmmmmm ɛyɛ asɛm oo! More class tests for almost 500 people? Where the hell am I going to get the strength to mark these scripts? On this premise I consulted the tutors of the other areas of the integrated science (Biology and Agric science) to organize a mid-term test.
For the whole of this term, my Physics and Chemistry aspects have been on energy and IUPAC system of naming inorganic compounds respectively.
In fact, I even prompted them on the very questions they should expect. Some classes were even lucky as I took them through those questions in the morning of the day they took the exams. One… two … three …pi … START WORK!
During the marking of the scripts, the punches really hit me hard as if I was in the boxing ring with the Professor. You should see the gibberish on the paper. Is that what we waste our time and energy to teach these people? These were some of the questions I always ask myself and some other teachers whenever I’m marking exams scripts. I’ve discussed their abysmal performance at exams with the most experienced teachers and educators here and they always point to one fact: the foundation! They are ill prepared at the Primary and JHS level. To add insult to injuries, the big wits around here make sure they either get WAEC apɔ or bribe the invigilators during the BECE so that the kids are assisted during the exams. No wonder a Form One student thinks he has the right to bring in apɔ or indulge in any exams malpractice he so desires!
The result is what I always see during invigilation or marking of scripts, and you’ll also see in the paragraphs that follow. Surprisingly, about 70% gave these answers verbatim, implying they cheated in the exams room under strict conditions.
Be warned that I’ve taken pains to ensure that there is no room for typos!
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, my TOP TEN ANSWERS IN MY CLASS TEST!
1. “Solar energy is a planet that help human being move from a place to another.”
2. “Solar energy is an energy which occure through by natural energy.”
3. “Solar energy that help used fule.”
4. “Solar energy is a type of energy that opposed or charge by the sun during afternoon.”
5. “Solar energy is a energy which is made up of the moon the solar and the nine planet.”
6. “Solar enegy: it is a process whereby two or more substance is generated to produce light.”
7. “What is dentition is the part of the human body which help human to brack down food to the body.”
8. “Kinetic energy: is a process whereby two substance is combined to produce heat for domestic purposes.”
9. “Binary compound: it is a process where they comband two things togethers”
10. “Vegetable reffered to lifes and vegeta or life that can talking it row with out any things”
I would like to use this platform to launch a passionate appeal to all you out there to come out with ideas to help our brothers and sisters in the basic schools of our hinterlands, draw up a proposal and present these proposals to the relevant agencies. We can even form an NGO if we get enough funding to lead the campaign for quality education at the basic level in all rural areas of Ghana to avert this looming danger: grooming educated illiterates!